Carb problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb problems
From: Mark Wright <mewright@eznet.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:02:22 GMT
Recently I had the carbs looked at after I made an attempt to overhaul them
without doing a complete rebuild, well my LBC mechanic checked them over
and I put them back on and the car started.  Now the only way it will start
is by spraying some gas down the throat of the carb, but once it burns off
then I can't start it again. Given that, it seems its fuel related and not
ignition.

A little background, the car sat for 5 years and rather than draining the
old gas I just added fresh gas plus a ton of cleaning additives. So I just
drained it all and put on the second fuel filter this year.  The old gas
looked like engine oil and now I'm wondering if I've got dirt somewhere in
my clean carbs.  I pulled the lines before each carb and seems like there's
enough pressure. I also pulled the plug on the bottom of the float chambers
to get rid of any old gas and oddly enough there was no gas in the chamber
of the front carb. I also ripped the o-ring on the plug for what that's
worth.

By the way, this is the same car that I inquired about last August
regarding the frozen flywheel.  I finally drove the car around the
cul-de-sac but quickly realized I had no brakes, just the emergency.  I
just recently rebuilt the brake mc and am anxiouly waiting to see if it
worked.  Perhaps if my brakes had worked many of the suggestions on how to
free the flywheel may have worked. Just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks again,
Mark Wright
72 TR6