radiator question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: radiator question
From: "Brett Graffis" <bgraffis@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:02:44 -0500
Listers,

I'm looking for a little radiator advice.  My 1972 TR6 has, recently
suffered a case of overheating.  I believe I took care of that problem by
pulling out and manually flushing each hose in the cooling system.
Naturally, the last hose I could have pulled out was the one that needed the
flushing.  Basically, it needed the automobile version of an angioplasty.

So, now that the system is all fresh and clean, I have another problem.  The
flange on the radiator where the radiator cap meshes (thereby holding the
cap to the radiator), is broken.  A portion of the flange has simply fallen
off, creating a gap where there should not be a gap.  So, when I put the cap
on the radiator and turn it the flange on the cap reaches the gap in the
radiator flange and the cap falls out.  If I put the cap on and only turn it
part of the way, the cap will stay on but I'm sure this is screwing up the
seal and the pressure needed for the cooling system to work properly.  I'm
guessing that it's not all that different than actually having a leak in the
radiator.  I'm not sure I explained that very well so I hope that made
sense.

I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to replace the radiator.  Does that
sound right?  I know I can order a new radiator from the likes of Moss,
Roadster Factory, Victoria British for $230-$260 but I'm kind of on a budget
so I was considering a functioning but used radiator that I've found for
less than $100.  What is the list's opinion on this?  Also, I notice that
the big three parts suppliers have different part numbers based upon the
year of the car's manufacture.  What really is the difference in the years
and, if I purchase a used radiator that's designated for a different year,
how much trouble could I get into?

Thanks for your help.

Brett