Re: loose hub bearings

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: loose hub bearings
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:07:54 -0500
At 08:41 PM 7/13/03 -0400, Lizirbydavis@cs.com wrote:

>Why can't I get my front wheel bearings adjusted right?  I tightened the
>castle nut (drivers side) until snug, then backed off a flat.  It is too
>loose ( I
>think)  There is an intermittent, slight high pitched whistle from the wheel
>at 60mph, worse when turning to the left.  There is slight play in the hub
>when the wheel (wires) is rocked back and forth. "click, click"  It seems
>to be
>"just right" when the castle nut is tightened such that the cotter pin cannot
>be inserted.  Am I damaging the bearing or axle stub?

There has been some discussion recently on another list that many if not
all of the seals supplied with the wheel bearing kits have felt that is
much too thick. So, you install your bearings to spec, and then the felt
compresses some (and it only takes a few miles) and then the bearings are
loose again. 1 solution is to go to a modern type seal. Someone posted the
part number a few years ago. Unfortunately, I cannot find the part number
now. But I put those seals on my TR6 several years ago, and have had zero
problems since, at least with the front wheel bearings.

  ;-)

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58