Re: Horn Contact Question

To: gkester@ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Horn Contact Question
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:08:12 +0000
Grant:

I'll try this again as I forgot to remove the trailer from my first reply.

I repaired the horn ciruit on my '69 TR6 a while back.  You'll need to order
the longer brush.  The short one (supposedly correct) is...too short.  I had
to exchange for the longer one.  In addition, after I installed the new
brush, the horns would blow when the brush shorted against it's wheel/column
mounting.  I solved that by wrapping the brush with electrical tape to
prevent shorting.  It seemed a little floppy in it's mount and, anyway, the
contact is end-to-end.  I recommend using some dielectric grease or petrolum
jelly on the end of the brush that contacts the stationary ring in the
steering column.  Mine squeaked like crazy until it was lubed.  It'll also
help contact and prevent corrosion.

Good luck!

Walt Fogle
'69 TR6