Re: simple yet critical question

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: simple yet critical question
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:48:43 -0500
    Philip> Anyone remember what an "Italian tune-up" is?

I'd never heard the term, but Google had:

    http://engine.articles.mbz.org/diesel/italian/

I couldn't get to that page, so I used the cached copy at Google to get to
this:

    The Italian tune-up - at least in a diesel [although it applies to a gas
    car too - Ed] consists of taking a SOUND car out and maximally
    accelerating from stop or slow speed to some high speed OR driving at
    near full rpm with a heavy load (up long hill) for minutes at a
    time. The idea is to get maximal air and fuel flowing through the engine
    to develop near maximum heat. This will burn and eject residual carbon
    that has collected in the engine. Following such a regimen the idle is
    usually smoother and the amount of black smoke at full throttle should
    be reduced. This occasionally does not happen the 1st time and the idle
    might get rougher or a pronounced knock could occur. This is usually
    because some carbon has been "rearranged" but the prechamber environment
    isn't appropriate for smooth combustion. Further TREATMENT will clear
    this up as more carbon is burned up, but it is a little scary the 1st
    time it happens to YOU and your car!

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/