Jim Swarthout

To: <WMSYSMAN@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <mjb@autotox.team.net>
Subject: Jim Swarthout
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:40:30 -0400
Bill Sysman wrote:

> I agree with Mr. Fuqua,  I am very greatfull to have Jim post
> any information reguarding the TRIUMPH  MARQUE. We are
> very fortunate  to have a subject matter expert in this group.
> Anything that promotes the better mechanical operation of
> these cars is a blessing.  Jim and this group has  kept my
> Triumph on the road at a great savings to me because the
> advice I have recieved from the TR6 Pack mail group as well as
> the Buckeye web page. Thanks Again your, advice is
> priceless.

I disagree; I find it extremely distasteful in the way that Mr. Swarthout
promotes his products by creating contests that basically become childish
guessing games.  Mr. Swarthout also has a very bad habit of replying with
little or no useful in many of his posts, while quoting the entire content
of the original post.  There is nothing helpful about that.

As far as the commercial interests Mr. Swarthout has, I feel that he has
used this mailing list as the exclusive means of marketing his products.  In
doing so, he violated an agreement that has been in standing with all the
team.net lists for many years.  http://www.team.net/www/corp-use.html  While
I was not the one who asked MJB to intervene, I applaud whomever got MJB's
attention on the matter.

Nearly everyday there is a thread in which Mr. Swarthout makes a comment
about one of his products.  A recent thread about Ted Schumacher's roller
rockers is an example, it was very rude the way in which Mr. Swarthout made
a comment that almost sounded like "Well you should have used my roller
rockers and you would not have this problem."  All that did was spur another
discussion about his proprietary 1.75:1 ratio roller rockers, a discussion
he instigated.  Again, his contests also create a commercial atmosphere and
a means of promoting his products.

As far as Mr. Swarthout's technical knowledge, I am sure he has the ability.
But a read of many recent posts shows that he will merely interject an
amusing comment without any further help to follow.  When we have a thread
about door panel installation tips, we do not need enigmatic comments about
the subject that could have been found in a Fortune Cookie.  One of the
recent discussions I was hoping Mr. Swarthout would participate in related
to initial engine startup and break-in, after he asked for a little more
info from the poster, he never posted any further definitive information.

Dick Taylor should be the one revered on this list as being unselfish and
generous with his knowledge.  Never has DT held a contest in order to
establish who is most knowledgeable about some subject.  There are many
others who have contributed a great deal to this list, but for me, DT is a
standout amongst us all.  Bob Lang is another, on this list in particular,
who has been helpful over many years.

Thank you DT and Bob Lang for all your hard work and time spent increasing
the value of this list during the years that I have been reading!

Kai