Re: Reconditioned Dampers

To: "Mitchel Seff" <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Reconditioned Dampers
From: "Gregory Dito" <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:49:43 -0400
Hi Mitch,

I absolutely agree that many dampers are probably OK even with some cracking
in the rubber.  But the dsamper from my car is 35 years old and has some
pretty heavy cracking in the rubber.  Not at all being the expert about
dampers, when I hear similar concerned comments from two different reputable
sources I have to give it thought.

I do know that when I would rev the motor there was always a vibration
around 4800 rpm.  Now, I recently discovered that one connecting rod was
about 8 grams lighter than the others.  Is this the culprit?  Is it the only
culprit?  I certainly don't know.  But heck.  I've gone this far with the
motor trying to do everything right I might as well get the damper
reconditioned.  It definitely can't hurt.

I came across a TR6 owner's website who mentioned that he had his damper
done by Damper Dudes.  He was very happy and said it looked like new.  I
don't know how much damper design differs from one manufacturer to another
but in doing a search there are a bunch of references to Damper Dudes by hot
rodders, muscle car owners, LBC owners and other special interest restorers
to give me the confidence that they are reputable and capable.  I also
called them and was told that they could turn around my original damper in 2
to 3 days.

So, again, what the heck.  In my book it's one less thing to worry about
when I wind up this new motor.

Greg
CD6250L