Electrical problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical problem
From: Janewrite@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:27:40 EDT
I'm having a few problems getting my TR6 going this spring. Tried to start it
as per normal after storing it for the winter and after putting the battery
back in I turned the key and nothing. No lights came on the dash, no click
from the starter solenoid, nothing. I also noticed that the headlights did
not work either. In fact the only things that do work are the courtesy
lights. I tried jump starting it and still nothing. The only other thing I
noticed is that the needle on the ammeter is way off the dial. So far off I
can't even see it. Not sure when it happened or even if that would cause any
of the symptoms mentioned or not.

I double checked the battery and it's fully charged. I used Dan's electrical
manual to check the starter which turns over fine. Following his instructions
it seems something is wrong with the power distribution and the main culprit
is probably either the ignition switch or the ammeter. I've ordered an
ignition switch which I will attempt to install once it arrives.

Unfortunately the car is stored several miles away so it's not easy to get to
work on it. Hence I thought I'd ask the list for any other checks (and how
best to perform them) or suggestions to enable me to diagnose this as quickly
and efficiently as possible. Bear in mind I'm no electrical expert.

Stuart Bailey
1972 TR6