Re: diff seals

To: motrv8d@hotmail.com (Gene Holtzclaw)
Subject: Re: diff seals
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:56:00 -0700 (PDT)
Gene---If you don't already have this, arm yourself with a good manual
before attempting these seal replacements. The Bentley and/or the Haynes
will let you know if you have the skills and tools to do this. I've
recently gone thru two (different) differential rebuilds, and found the
most difficult part for this shade tree mechanic to be in pressing off
the axle hubs from their shafts to get to the seals. Most of us have to
go to a machine shop with a Large Press (my one ton sure didn't do it)
to get them separated.

The seal at the pinion isn't so difficult.

If you decide to replace all of these seals, it would be a good time to
see if the spherical and flat washer/shims behind the planet and sun
gears are worn enough to also replace.

Dick