Chasing a short -- Resolution

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chasing a short -- Resolution
From: "Dwayne Cooper" <dcooper@paciolan.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:38:39 -0700
Thanks to the help of many listers, I believe I've eliminated my battery
draining short.  It looks like the culprit was the new GM alternator and the
cure was adding a diode to the circuit.

There was something odd about this that I still don't understand:  I was
originally troubleshooting by testing voltage between the negative post and
ground with a voltmeter.  What I found confusing was that when I removed the
alternator plug the voltage dropped from 12 to 10 volts -- not to zero.  Then I
started testing with a light and the light reliably went out when the plug was
removed and testing afterwards with the voltmeter yielded no voltage.  Its
almost as if there's a capacitor somewhere else in the circuit that's storing
the leaking current and the voltmeter doesn't draw it down, but the light does.

At any rate, I've installed the diode and both my test light and voltmeter show
no current.  I'm out of town for a week so the 6'll be sitting in the garage
with the battery connected and if it fires up next Saturday, this problem will
be a distant memory.

Dwayne
'74