Re: stuck piston/caliper

To: <red_tr250@hotmail.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stuck piston/caliper
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:20:57 -0600
Todd, have you tried compressed air?  Probably a little less messy.  Put the
loose piston back in and find a way to clamp it so that it wont come out while
you apply air to try and free the stuck piston.  I think I clamped an old
brake pad to the loose piston with a couple of c clamps.  When it finally
comes out, you should be able to get out the one thats loose.   Be sure and do
this with safety glasses, away from any cars, and keep your fingers out from
between the pistons.  The air will blow out any remaining brake fluid with
quite a force.

John - 1976 TR6

Todd wrote>
having a little trouble getting one of the pistons out of the caliper on my
tr6.  i tried using the hydraulics to get them out.  one came out enough to
gently tap it out with a punch.  my guess is to clean it up & put it back in
& hold it with a clamp & try again for the other?