Re: Bent Rims

To: Mark Martin <markmartin@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Bent Rims
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Mark Martin wrote:

> Has anyone had a rim repaired after being damaged from a tire machine?  If
> it can't be repaired, does anyone know where I can get rims?

Okay - first off, this is a common problem with TR6 rims. To avoid
problems, have the tire buster use a "mag machine", not the standard
type. If they don't have a mag machine, I'm told that the proper method is
to install/remove from the back-side of the rim.

The second part of the problem is that TR6 rims appear to be quite soft.
Put the two together and it's bend-o-rama.

It is okay to bend the rims back into shape, but you have to be cognizant
of the fact that cold forming any metal can lead to stress cracks. If
your intent is for the car to be a driver or show car, you're probably
okay. I would not want to use the (re-shaped) rims on a race car...

TRF was listing new TR6 rims in a fairly recent catalog, you might check
with them, but if that does not pan out, it's time to start thinking about
better wheels (like Panasports or one of the less-expensive mini-lite
replica wheels). Figure $140 per rim for steel and as high oas $200 per
rim for a really nice Panasport rim. Oh - there's always used rims, but
you need to be careful what you buy (like you might acquire rims in
similar shape to what you have.

> Thanks
>
> Mark Martin
> '72 TR6 (almost on the road)

Good luck,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |