carb upgrade

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: carb upgrade
From: JASandPJS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:20:43 EDT
A couple of months ago there was an interesting thread concerning carb
upgrades, since mine was recently completed I thought I would share what I
did for anyone who might be interested.  First off I have a '71 TR6 that has
had the usual hod rod treatment; head shaved to 10:1, ported and polished,
Goodparts GP2 cam & 1.65 rollers, .030 overbore, SS headers and exhaust from
Rimmers, balanced, etc.   Anyway, I was less than satisfied with the stock
carbs after all this work and was considering the usual options; switching to
dual SUs, Webers, or the triple carb setup from Goodparts.  My friend and
mechanic said he had a pair of 2" SU carbs off a 1972 European spec (German)
Jag and wanted to use them.  I was skeptical but he talk me into it.  He
machined the carb side of the intake manifold to 2" to match the carb (there
is plenty of metal available for this, at least on the early intake
manifolds).  I have a Goodparts airbox and he machined the openings where it
fits to the carbs to match (this was kinda tricky because of the built in
short velocity stacks but doable).  Power coated the carbs red to match the
car, buffed up those huge dash pots to a chrome like finish and filled them
with 30 wt.   Did some work on the mixture to get it just right then went for
the road tests.  Throttle response?  Nothing less than thrilling throughout
the RPM range, oh yeah!  If there is anyone who wants to upgrade their carbs
and do something a little different at the same time, just want to let you
know this works.

John, '71 TR6
Charleston, WV
any off list responses please send to JASandPJS@aol.com