Temperature Compensators

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temperature Compensators
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 18:58:00 -0400
I'm was working on my carbs today (rebuild) and began to play with the
spring and plunger in the temp compensator. On the first carb, the plunger
seats just fine and no light appears around the seat. However, on the
second, I see light when I hold it closed. The plunger doesn't appear to be
centered in the sleeve and strikes the seat only on one side. This happens
even when the spring is removed (ie the plunger is placed in the sleeve and
pushed home by finger pressure).

As background, I have disassembled both units and cleaned all parts very
well. The springs are flat.

Either the casting or the plunger is off center. Anybody got any experience
here? Can't really see a way to fix this issue, I may have to spring for a
new/ used replacement.

TIA,
Peter
'68 TR250