Re: TR6 values

To: David.Fowler@hp.com
Subject: Re: TR6 values
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:35:36 EST
In a message dated 4/4/2003 6:57:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
David.Fowler@hp.com writes:

> PI
>
> What's your power output with PI (125 or 150 bhp depending on cam, other
> work?) versus alternative dual/triple carb set ups or modified engines
> people have and relative costs to achieve each. Cost difference = PI
> value?
>
> Less tangible: Is PI smoother? What's reliability - given PI reputation
> for vapor lock in UK (so big problem in Southern USA or hot areas?.
> Solutions include Bosch versus Lucas pump and running with >half a tank
> of gas - could be a pain for long trips). Also reputed short life on
> certain components and costs to refurbish e.g. injectors?
>
> Finally, I have to think an authentic PI car worth more (to a purist)
> than a conversion using PI system from 2500 saloons/wagons?
>
> O/D
>
> $2000 if I have to buy a "professionally" rebuilt unit and pay someone
> to fit it to non O/D car? A little less if done during restoration.
> Only 25-30% of that if I'm competent mechanic who can both rebuild and
> then fit one myself to a non O/D car?
>
> Hard Top - what's that? Oh yes, something hard to store until you sell
> the car! If roads/weather are good enough to drive car, it's top down
> weather. If it's so bad I need a hard top (i.e. putting up soft top
> won't suffice), maybe I shouldn't be driving it?
>
> David
>
> P.S. Trying to copy list but my firewall often prevents me from doing
> so.

David:

My car is a 1970, so it has the hotter cam for 150 hp.  I don't know if the
PI is smoother than a modified carbureted car, but it certainly is smooth
off-idle.  The idle is pretty lumpy.  It has the Bosch fuel pump conversion
(and electronic ignition).  I don't think a Lucas fuel pump would be a good
choice for Miami!

Michael Samuels
1970 TR6 PI