Re: Shifting

To: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Shifting
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:51:22 -0800
Jim,

Yep, I'm way behind times on constant-mesh versus the old sliding-gear type
of transmission. However, to prevent gears from grinding or clashing during
engagement, a constant-mesh manual transmission still uses synchromesh,
haven't we all shifted a transmission that grinds gears due to worn
synchromesh?

I still think the synchros are what keep gears from grinding when the input
shaft is turning and it is attempted to move the gear lever into a slot
while the car is at rest.  If not, what does keep the gears from grinding in
that case (no pun intended)?

Gary
'73