Re: Triumph aluminum hubs

To: LaJoMor@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph aluminum hubs
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:28:43 -0500
Larry,

I spoke with Bob at Southwick Machine....great guy.  Came very highly
recommended by Jack Drews.  It turns out that the work they did in 1991 is
for TR2-4A, so the pattern will not fit on our 6s.  This wheel weighed
8.5lbs without the ring gear.  Apparently it looks a lot like the Cambridge
Motorsports flywheel, and you can see a picture at:
http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/menu_templates/list_menu.cfm?menu_temp=tr5_tr6_engine.cfm&dep_id=2&prod_ass=1&ass_id=66

However, I get the impression that if we get enough interested people, we
could have a run of lightweight steel wheels made for the TR6.  In 2001, Bob
did  a run of 10 wheels and sold them for around $250-300.  If you compare
this with the cost of equivalent steel flywheels from the UK which cost $600
landed in the US, then this is an absolute bargain, and about the same price
as aluminum wheels (albeit a whole lot better!).

So, if any of you are seriously interested in a lightweight steel wheel for
the later TR6s, please let me know.  I will be asking Bob to see if he is
interested, and even if no-one else is interested, I'll still ask what will
be the cost to do a single unit - yes, I need one!

The beauty of this is that the CNC codes will then be in the US.  We sadly
lag a long way behind the UK in serious performance gear for our cars, and
it is only because of people like Bob, Jack Drews, Dave Wingett, Mike
Munson, Jim Swarthout, Sam Halkias, JK Jackson, Richard Good, Ted
Schumacher, Ken Gillander, van den Acker, John Esposito, Dan Masters and a
few others that we have anything at all!

Let me know.

Shane Ingate in Maryland