wire wheel recommendations?

To: "Triumph Six-Pack (6pack@autox.team.net)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: wire wheel recommendations?
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:14:39 -0600
these questions are actually for a Big Healey, but would also apply to a
TR6, which uses the same size wheels, so I'm hoping it's pertinent to this
group:

--I'm planning to replace my existing 48-spoke wheels with new ones. Should
I go with 60-spoke or 72-spoke? (most suppliers seem to recommend at least
the 60 spoke as having a greater margin of safety. 72-spoke are a bit more
money.)

--the original 48-spokers are 15 by 4 1/2 inches; the 60 spokes and 72
spokes are 15 by 5 1/2 inches. how will that affect handling and/or tire
fitment? I will probably buy new tires to go with the new wheels.

--does anybody have strong opinions on Dayton wires vs. Dunlop? Dunlops are
made in India and slightly cheaper; Daytons are made in U.S. and said (by
TRF) not to require truing.

--I'm planning on buying painted finish, not chrome, a) because it's cheaper
and b) because this is a driver, and I don't want to worry about chrome
rusting, flaking, etc. Also, painted is correct. What would other listers
do?

Thanks for any feedback.

Graham