electric speedo and voltagge stabilizer

To: 6pack <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: electric speedo and voltagge stabilizer
From: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:39:08 -0800
First, big thanks to Dan Masters for posting the wiring diagrams.  Have
your book and it is indispensable; glad to have the diagram in PDF so I
can print it big.

I have replaced my tranny with a Herman VA kit.  The tranny I got was
from a '94 Toyota pickup.  It has an electronic output for the speedo,
not a mechanical cable.  I have just replaced my tach with an electronic
one [driven by my new HMX Electromotive crank fired ignition].  I think
I want to put in the electronic speedo also.

Now the question.  The voltage stabilizer is part of the mechanical
speedo.  What would happen if I do not have the stabilizer [looks like
it affects the temp and fuel gauges only]?   I am thinking of replacing
the temp gauge anyway, and the gas doesn't work well since the sender
float is probably full of fuel.

Speaking of the HVDA tranny conversion.  Does anyone else have such a
setup?  If so, did you go electronic?  If so, there is a three pin
connector on the tranny.  The pins are arranged in a row.  Does anyone
know which does what?  I presume one is for 12v, one for ground, and one
for sending the pulses to the speedo.  Any hints on where to get the
information?

I will be working feverishly Friday morning to complete the rebuild [yet
to install the rockers, last carb, and radiator] and then hoe it
starts.  With a new "lumpy" cam and new ignition it is always a hope and
a prayer when the key is turned for the first time.  Hope to have it on
the track Saturday [have an appointment with the exhaust builder Fri. AM
and the wheel alignment guy at 4PM.]  Knowing Murphy, either it will not
get done, or even worse, I will succeed only to see it pouring buckets
on Saturday morning [and having no top due to rollbar height, there is a
limit to how much rain I can take].
Chuck

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
Chuck.Arnold.vcf]