Speedo fixed...finally

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedo fixed...finally
From: "Alan & Debbie Lindner" <theedge@cts.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:13:09 -0800
I finally bought the new tires and installed the new rims.  Now I can
get the speedometer adjusted.  I didn't like the fact that I could be
going 80 mph and the speedo read 55.

Drove the car down to my local foreign speedo shop.  Learned that
the number 1120 on my gauge stands for 1120 cable turns per
mile.  Is this the same on all TR6s?
>From the transmission, one mile equalled 854 cable turns.  Way
off!  Now my transmission is a new (okay rebuilt) 'A' type from
Quantum Mechanics.  But I think the gearing was for a different
rear end.  How did they change the speedo gear to handle all the
different rear end ratios?  They installed a ratio converter with a
ratio of 1.36.  Also had the inner cables replaced and the speedo
moves without any bounces.  I wonder which read end this was for?

The guy at the shop stated that the Smiths gauge is very good with
a tight tolerance.  The speed at 20, 40 and 60 mph were all within
one mph.  When they start to go, fix it fast.  On the other hand, a
Japanese gauge, he said, has a very sloppy tolerance right out of
the box.

Alan

Alan Lindner
'72 TR6 French Blue