Re: electronic ign

To: motrv8d@hotmail.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electronic ign
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 08:24:28 -0700
Gene, if you dont have a spare set of points to reinstall, you can
probably check the coil by removing the low voltage wire that goes from
the coil to your electronic ignition unit at the coil (usually the minus
side) and attach a piece of plain wire in its place.  Remove the center
spark plug wire from the distributor and put it somewhere so that it
rests about 1/4' from a ground on the engine.  Now with the ignition on
take your newly attached wire and ground it briefly.  The process of
grounding the wire should cause a spark to happen at the high voltage
wire.  If you have a spark, then I would suspect your electronic
ignition unit is bad.  I dont have one of these units, but I understand
that with some it should be fairly easy to switch back to points mode.
If so, then you wont be dead in the water while you get your EI unit
diagnosed.

You can also do this with points installed in the distributor and
connected to coil in the normal way.  Just rotate the engine until the
points are closed.  Turn on the ignition and with an insulated
screwdriver, manually open and close the points.  You should see a spark
if the coil is ok and your distributor points are good and properly
connected.  Good luck.  John - 76 TR6

Gene wrote>
I just got home after being towed. My 76 has electronic ign. that was
installed by PO. Car has been running great for 5 months i've owned it.
However, tonight it acted as though the power to the dist. was turned
off.
Luckily, a good friend was passing by and pulled me home. (only 5 blocks

from home) Can a coil be checked? Or should I just replace the elec.
ign.? I
have power at the coil.