Re: Coil Spring Compressor

To: RFabie@erols.com
Subject: Re: Coil Spring Compressor
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:47:51 -0500
Bob,
I found a piece of scrap metal, 2" x 4" x 1/2" thick.
Chamfered the corners, about 3/8" to 1/2" is good.
Drilled a 7/8" hole in the center.
Found a 3/4" threaded rod (22" to 26"), 3 nuts, and a couple of large
washers to fit the rod.
Some have used 1/2" rod, I like the added strength-safety of 3/4".
In use, I "locked" two of the nuts at the top end of the rod, after
removing the shock, and placing the rod through the spring pan and into
the shock tower.
Use a washer under the two nuts.
Slide the 2 x 4 plate on the bottom of the rod, then place a washer, then
thread a nut on the bottom.
Slowly tighten the nut at the bottom, until you have access to the spring
pan bolts and nuts, then after you remove the fastners, slowly loosen the
nut at the bottom until the tension on the road spring is slack.

Be very cautious, as the spring has a great deal of energy stored in it
if it should get loose. Tie a large rope to it and something sturdy in
case it does get away.
Also be sure to watch the nuts on the rod, so they do not spin off the
end before you are ready.

To get the spring pan off, you must compress the spring a good bit.

Of course you are doing all of this at your own risk, so be sure what you
are doing first.

HTH

Mark Riddle
'72 TR6