FW: over-steer, under-steer, neutral steer...thoughts,

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: over-steer, under-steer, neutral steer...thoughts,
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 08:11:38 -0800
        Actually, you have it exactly backwards;

        Stiffen the REAR sway bar to reduce under steer,
stiffen the front bar to reduce oversteer. It is exactly
the opposite of what intuition would tell you.
        Car makers deliberately set up there cars to
under steer at the limit, so that little Johnny doesn't
spin the family car into a bridge abuttment while driving.
We all know that the lawsuits would have no end in a
situation like this.
        The correct way to set up a car to handle, all other
things being equal, is for neutral handling which extracts
the maximum amount of work from all four tires while cornering.
The correct way to set up your suspension is to have approximately
half your roll stiffness from the springs, and half from your
sway bars. If your sway bars are too stiff, you can actually
increase your ultimate cornering capability by reducing the
stiffness to more closely match your springs. The trade off is
more body roll when you corner, but the car will hang on harder
when the springs and bars are matched.

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6