Re: Differential

To: Btp44@aol.com
Subject: Re: Differential
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:35:42 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 Btp44@aol.com wrote:

> Bob-The change from the solid to the collaspsible spacer occurred in 71-72,
> with some discrepancy between Moss and TRF info. If the pinion nut is
> castellaed with a locking wire, the spacer should be the earlier solid type,
> the later collaspsible spacers used a nyock nut.
> Berry Price
> 1971 CC63230 solid

Hi,

I know the "book" says this, but the book is wrong. I've taken apart diffs
from several '74s that were the old style without the spacer. Bottom line
- you gotta take 'em apart to know for sure. You can't really even go by
the nut because some folks have replaced the castle nut with the elastic
stop nut for whatever reason (making you think an early style is a late
style.

Also, if the ring/pinion was ever replaced (which is actually pretty
likely), then it's like to have been replaced with an early style
(shim-type) pinion gear.

regards,
rml
'74 CF14111U - solid spacer (original owner and diff worked on several
times).
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |