Differential

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differential
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:48:47 -0500
OK, time to tackle the (leaky) differential seals.

Tonight, I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the diff to fit a 3/8"
pipe plug (same size as the filler hole. I installed one of those brass
plugs with the magnetic post in the center.

I have read and been told how tough it is to work on the inside of the diff.
Is replacing the front and side seals on a solid spacer diff also tough?

I have fabricated a "wrench" from a piece of 5/16" steel. It is about 5"
wide and 36" long and bolts to the drive flange. I cut a hole in center of
the bolt pattern so I can get my socket onto the nut. I'll put a 36" length
of pipe on my 1/2" ratchet handle. I figure that this should be enough
torque to loosen the nuts.

The next step is to pull the flanges from the inner axle shafts. I've got a
BIG gear puller and hope that it exerts enough leverage.

Finally, I have to pull the seals. Are these really stuck in there, or are
they going to come out easily? Any tips for getting the new ones in easily?

Does the above sound reasonable or am I dreaming to think that the above
will work?

Thanks,
Peter
'68 TR250