RE: RPM results

To: "Simms, Bruce CIC" <BSimms@cicorp.sk.ca>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RPM results
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 12:39:23 -0800
HI Bruce,

There's nothing wrong with being careful....

Did I endanger myself or anyone else?  No.  In fact, I was slower than many
cars on the freeway at that time of night (remember, I was testing in 3rd
gear).

Did the thought of breaking something cross my mind?  Yes, but I thought
this issue through a few years back.  My enjoyment of this car is in
driving it, and driving it (moderately) hard from time to time.  If
something breaks, I'll fix it.  But really, 5000 RPM should be no problem
for a car in reasonable shape.

I mean no criticism of those who treat their car very carefully --- I might
feel that way if I was paying for someone's labor, or if I had a highly
collectable car.

I checked under the hood after last night's drive and found a little oil (a
teaspoon?) on top of my rocker cover. I know it wasn't there when I started
the ~30 minutes of testing.  I assume this was caused by blow-by from worn
rings/cylinders.  It has been 13 years on this rebuild, it may be time to
start thinking about going in there again.

As someone on the list said (rml?), it's all a matter of what you're
willing to break.

Regards,
Cregg Cowan