Re: A question for the readers at 6Pack

To: "Richard Cottingham" <rcotting@ns.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: A question for the readers at 6Pack
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:10:07 -0500
Richard, sounds like you got a GREAT deal! Machine work alone on my last
rebuild was about 800 bux. I always have them straighten and size the rods,
install hard exhaust seats in the head (some would question this I know) ,
balance the rotating bits as well as the usual stuff. I personally don't do
cam bearings unless the block is worn, or the person is looking to run high
RPM's (and high spring pressures).

You can add the parts and services up yourself and see that it's tough to do
it all and do it for under $2,000.00 US funds (BEFORE LABOR). You are also
gonna be replacing motor mounts, maybe clutch, etc, etc. It always costs
more than you think.

Now, lf you have good bores, pistons, don't need much in the head, etc. it
can be cheaper for parts, but the labor won't change.

My last engine job cost the customer about $3500.00 as I recall. (I am
retired from the TR business now!)

Jim