RE: TR-6 performance

To: "'James Franks'" <jimmble@adelphia.net>,
Subject: RE: TR-6 performance
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 10:41:07 -0500
You guys have forgotten the most important issue. Who gets the free roller
rockers? Let's give it a shot. ;-)

12) If the piston to be fired is approaching compression...(15 degrees
BTDC)... and you have the timing set to fire at 10 degrees Before
TDC...why doesn't the piston travel back down...moving in the direction
from which it just came...?

First of all, the piston is not approaching compression. Compression is
nearly completed at this point. The simple answer is that the force on the
top of the piston is less than the force on the bottom.

Forces on the bottom of the piston are: crankcase pressure acting on the
piston bottom, inertia from the spinning crank transmitted through the
connecting rod, and in a multi-cylinder, forces from other pistons on their
expansion strokes transmitted through the crank and rod. Oh, I almost forgot
the inertia of the piston itself.

Forces on the top of the piston are: pressure due to the compressed gas
acting on the piston top and pressure due to combustion.

Now, in an optimally timed combustion event (MBT), peak cylinder pressure
occurs about 12-14 degrees after top dead center. The combustion pressure
has yet to even get started developing at ignition. So the force due to
combustion cannot overcome the other forces at this point.

Do I get the rockers?

- Hugh