Re: TR6 Bonnet (Hood) catch

To: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, "Will" <tr6@mac.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Bonnet (Hood) catch
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:23:50 -0400
Direct IRS quote from Roger Williams (How to Restore Triumph
TR5/250 & TR6)

"...on the end of each rear outer axle shaft there is a threaded
portion that can snap off, and allow the wheel to come off the
car. .........a crack develops at the root of the threaded
section, which eventually allows the end of the shaft and its
wheel retaining nut to part company...."

He has a picture of such a catastrophic failure, saying ".....this
is the consequence of the threaded end of the rear hub shearing
off - taking the retaining nut, washer, studded driving flange,
brake drum and all important wheel with it."

He also talks about the front suspension bottom trunnions "...they
are known to snap after first exhibiting symptoms of stiffening."
Ouch!

I have made many a commentary about the slightly humorous Brit
management, engineering and manufacturing practices that I have
encountered in my restoration projects - but if true, not so funny
here - (like Jag sedan steering wheels coming off in your hands in
the eighties). And if true, Ralph Nader was sleeping at the
switch, chasing Corvairs/VW's ;-)

So, question - how many on this list have experienced a departing
wheel/suspension component, or at least seen the dreaded fatigue
crack?

Mike L (P. Eng)
60MGA,67Etype,59Bug,74TR6