RE: 220 hp TR6 engine

To: "'Robert M. Lang'" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: RE: 220 hp TR6 engine
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:44:37 -0700
        2.5 liters is 151 cubic inches. I haven't built a TR engine before,
but I have built Chevy's. My experience is that anything over 1 HP/ci
becomes marginal on the street. Admittedly, one man's marginal is another
man's "fully streetable" so let me define streetable as I see it:

        Engine idles sufficiently smooth that the body of the car does not
shake noticeably, nor does the engine 'lope'.
        Sufficient torque that stalling is not a problem
        Idle speed of less than 1000 RPM
        Mileage hit of less than 15%
        Sound level at cruise is acceptable.
        Cold start drivability is not noticeably affected.

        So I think 220HP, while definitely 'drivable' on the street, would
be fatiguing to deal with for more than a short period of time. This would
put you into the "lopey cam" territory, which means large mileage hit, rough
idle, and high noise levels at cruise, easy to stall, etc. I have built this
kind of motor, and while it is fun for a while, it wears quickly on you.

        A reasonable number for the street is 150 crank horsepower for the
2.5 liter displacement. I know I would not consider any more than that for
the street, but then I am an old man....

        Cheers,

        Vance