RE: Possible engine swap for Tr6

To: "'Ryan Kroelinger'" <Rkroel@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: Possible engine swap for Tr6
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:45:36 -0500
I've seen Big Healeys with Chevy small-block v-8s, but they didn't have
independent rear suspension, so they had fewer U-joints to break!

Interestingly, a Chevy small block is LIGHTER than the Healey 6, which was
kind of famous as a lump 'o lead. Not sure of the difference vis a vis the
Triumph engine.

That said, I would still argue in favor of keeping the original engine. Tons
of torque, good longevity, and you can always bump up the power with
suitable intake and exhaust modifications. And, frankly, I think adding too
much power not only puts too much stress on the brakes, suspension and other
components, with potentially serious results (ie front suspension failure),
but it also tempts one to exceed the handling limits of the car ... which,
realistically, are fairly modest to begin with.

(and before I get flamed: yes, I know that Triumphs can be made to handle a
lot better, but to me that's not really the point of a Triumph ... if I
wanted great handling, I'd buy a Corvette. And, ultimately, you are still
limited by the high-flex chassis, the relatively unsophisticated suspension
and the lack of suspension travel in the rear ... plus the limits on tire
width unless you're doing really major mods)

Graham