Ignition Switch Wiring

To: $SENDER@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Switch Wiring
From: John Griffiths <John.Griffiths@uregina.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:45:47 -0500
TR-6 Folks:

I'm a new and proud owner of a '73 TR6 and a recent list-lurker. I'm
also a pretty inexperienced mechanic though I've rebuilt a
couple of Volkswagens. I bought the car in Vancouver and had it shipped
to Regina (in central Canada) with a whole lot of parts that went with
it.

I wonder if you could offer me some very simple newbie advice (along
with much more, I'm sure, in the future). The ignition switch had no
return spring and there was a new switch in the spare parts. The old
switch was a 6 position unit and the new one is 4. I checked out
comparable continuities and thought I had it nailed. In fact I put the
new switch in and the car started fine. Then it became less reliable
and then I had to push hard on the centre with a screwdriver... Perhaps
I should have ordered a 6 position unit? Anyway the car won't start now
and I've long since become hopelessly lost as to what connected to
what. I thought you collectively might be able to help.

If we number the new switch 1 to 4 (1 being the single connector and 2,
3 and 4 being the doubles looking clockwise) and I tell you that I have
the following wires: 2 large brown, a red/yellow, large white, brown/red
stripe, large red and white, can anyone help or provide a method for
determining the proper placement?

Hopefully I haven't toasted the switch. Please forgive the idiot
question as I'm sure you're more interested in the intricacies of
overdrives.

Thanks for any help.

John

'73 TR-6, '80 Honda CB 900 Custom bike etc