Half axis play

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Half axis play
From: "Pim Alferink" <p.alferink3@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:36:21 +0200
Here in Holland the weather is getting nicer and lubricating grease is getting
thinner.
As I reported before, I have some play in the splines of my rear half shafts
(both have about equal play). Double checked three times. no play in the
U-joints, not a differential mounting problem. If I hold the inner stub and
the outer splined piece I can definately feel them click.
I guess the thinning grease doesn't "hide" the play and I now start getting
engagement noises (pretty loud) when pulling away.
Of course, it could also be wear.

Now I consider exchanging one half of the axel on the left and right side.
When moving the stubs, the driving splines would now be stressed at the other
"fresh" side.
When moving the splined ends, the receiving end would now be stressed on a
"fresh" side.
My questions:
Do you have experience in moving one inner or outer half-shaft to the other
side?
And which part is the best to move over?
Pim
Pimento '73