dpo revival

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: dpo revival
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 11:17:09 -0400
Haven't seen a dpo story since I joined this list.

Bought my TR6 from a doc who boasted he had never driven in the
rain. Ran across the reason last nite and now I believe him. After
freeing up the  stiff wiper switch and repairing the consequently
torn up plywood notch, I turned on the wipers - and luckily had
the blades in the up position as they went into the engine bay -
turns out the park circuit is not connected.

So way back, when the park R/W wire slipped off the back of the
switch, his mechanic just remounted the blades. The doc can't use
the wipers, doesn't drive in the rain and the switch locks up from
lack of use. These are the same guys who put in steering rack
rubbers without compression and were happy to let the 3/8 throttle
cross shaft run freely in the 5/8 sheet metal holes (no
bearings!!)..... and  no hydraulic fluid changes (new brake MC,
clutch SC and a rebuilt clutch MC so far).....and the soft top has
never been up but the quarter window plastic is crunched up but
good since it was never single crease folded on the way down....

And I am hoping against hope that since the trani/motor has
obviously been split, they did the one good backyard repair and
actually welded the clutch fork to the shaft. My luck they
replaced the clutch assy without noticing the probable broken fork
pin.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug,74TR6