Re: Carbonfiber dashboard

To: "Ryan Miles" <rjhmile@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carbonfiber dashboard
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 01:35:15 -0400
>    I am doing preliminary work on fabricating a carbon fiber dash
> board for my tr6, and after some thought I wanted to put the word
> out to see if anyone out there would be interested in buying one if
> the project turns out well. I can probably do them for less than a
> new hardwood board would cost. Any thoughts?
>
> Ryan Miles

I did this a few years ago, did a mock-up in fibreglass for trial fittiment
before I spent for the carbon cloth.  Biggest problem?  The fibreglass would
get numerous gel coat cracks from the instrument clamps and the vibration of
the clamps against the back of the dash as I would drive around.  I decided
that it would be worthwhile to have aluminium spacer rings machined out to
the diameter of the instrument to put in between the dash and the instrument
clamps.  I also wanted to put some ribs in the the back of the dash to give
it some rigidity (since you have about a 1/4 thickness to play with to make
the dash stand out to the point that the wood ones do).

In the end I trashed the fibreglass proto, I may still have the mould I
used.  All in all, I didn't think I'd like the look of the carbon fibre and
the black gel coat in the fibreglass unit was pretty ugly too.

Kai