Re: Hydraulic Release Bearing System

To: StuBeatty@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Release Bearing System
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:00:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 14 May 2002 StuBeatty@aol.com wrote:

> Last night a friend called and asked if I had any knowledge or
> experience with a hydraulically operated system for the release
> bearing. Apparently this system does away with the mechanically
> operated portion such as the cross shaft in the bell housing, linkages
> and the fork. This supposedly makes for smoother operation of the
> clutch.

The system is referred to as an "annular clutch release bearing". They are
available from a number of sources including (but not limited to) Tilton
and many circle track supply houses. A search on "google" with the term
"annular clutch release bearing" returns hundreds of "hits".

The advantage to the system is that it eliminates all mechanical wear
points except for the clutch pedal pivot bushing and the clutch  pedal to
clutch master cylinder clevis pin.

Like anything good, the system is not exactly free from a cost
perspective.

I have no idea what hydraulic numbers you need from this system, but I'm
pretty sure that the stock clutch MC is up to the task... so, to do this,
you need the release slave, a release bearing, some AN4 line, a remote
bleeder valve and some spacers to mount the release bearing to the "snout"
of the tranny case. You'll need some AN4 hose ends and probably an adapter
to go from the stock clutch MC to the AN line (unless you spring for a new
clutch MC which can easily be adapted to AN style connections).

In 50 words or less, "some fabrication is required".

> Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of the system?

I have not done this on my race car, but it is high on the list of things
to do. I approached one of my friends in the business (who I know has done
this on TR4's) if he was willing to make a kit, but so far no go.

I'm pretty sure that Herman van den Akker (in SO. CAL somewhere) uses an
annular clutch release bearing on his Toyota 5 speed setup, so you might
want to speak with him.

As far as driving with this setup, my experience is rather jaded. I drove
a fully race-prepared TR4 with the setup, but he has a Tilton 2 disk
clutch in the car (and a 10 pound flywheel), so it was stab the gas, spool
the motor up and let it go - _very "binary"_. It did make for some nifty
black streaks on the pavement!

But if you have $150 and some time, this would be a great project. If you
have $250 and you don't mind calling around, I'll bet that Hermann can
help and probably others (like British Frame and Engine or GT Classics and
so forth) can too.

The bottom line is that it's been done, but nobody has a kit that I'm
aware of.

> Stuart Beatty
> 76 Carmine
> Belleville, Ontario

regards,
rml
74 Carmine, 73 Silver
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |