RE:Carb and Trans OD question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Carb and Trans OD question
From: Russ Pagano <pagano@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:12:17 -0500
Pat,
Overdrive was an option on the TR6. There were 2 types: an A-Type (69-72)
and a J-Type (73 on). Either bolts to the rear of the standard 4 speed with
an adapter replacing the tail section (so the driveshaft is the same length
regardless of OD type or w/o OD) BUT you can't just take off the tail
section of a standard gearbox and bolt on an OD unit. The mainshaft in the
gearbox is different for a standard 4 speed, an A Type, or a J type.
Actually I 've found there were 6 different mainshafts depending on gearbox
#. There's also a difference between the A and J rubber mount - don't know
which would fit your TVR. The model year of the TVR might help answer that.
It's possibly to do the conversion for about $600-800 and lots of labor or
you can buy a complete OD gearbox - used about $700-1000 or rebuilt
$1200-1800 USD. The set up is the same for TR3-6 although the early 3s
didn't have a synchro first gear and there were many internal upgrades along
the way. If you have a choice get a gearbox with steel bushings instead of
bronze - gearbox # CF12501 or later .
Many people run the SUs but I know little about the subject.
Russ
71 TR6
Columbia, MD
Triumphs Around the Chesapeake www.tracltd.org