RE: Accelorator Shaft Bushings

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Accelorator Shaft Bushings
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:59:09 -0700

The idea to soften them in boiling water is a good one. And to use dish soap
to help slip them in also. But I suggest you don't try to fit them with the
shaft. Instead fit them into the holes alone. It's best if you have a
helper, one works from inside the car and the other from the engine
compartment. When I did mine, I started in the engine compartment and
"pushed and pulled" the bushings in towards the outer edges of the car. You
can use a thin piece of wood (like one of those things for stirring paint
you can get from paint stores) and shape one end like a half moon. That way
the person working from the engine bay can push on the softened bushing
while the person working inside the car can use a "hook" tool to pull the
bushing in and seat it correctly. The idea of the half moon is to spread the
force of the pushing so as to not damage the bushing. No cutting is
required. The shaft can then be inserted after the bushings are in place.

HTH.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO