Re: Tricks to extracting Trunion?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tricks to extracting Trunion?
From: "James Tabor" <jatabor@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:18:19 -0500
oh yes,
the memories of that same job....
you are correct in taking the tension off from the spring...
although sometimes a little tension can be your friend.

well, i had the same issue, and if memory holds correct...
i used a neumatic (sp?) air gun to get that thing to break free.
you have gotten the bolt to turn, but only with the aid of a BFBB.
Big _ Breaker Bar. what is missing is "something" to coax the bolt
outward. that is where the air gun can help. it turns so much faster than
any hand operated breaker bar that the threads will catch and work
to your advantage. if you do not (i assume you don't) have a air gun...
well...be very careful when banging the threaded end of the bolt.
i would suggest buying a normal old nut to thread onto the end of the
bolt to protect the threads. threaded on preferrably flush. this should
allow you to bang the bolt out enough (say, 1/4 inch) to unthread the
protection nut and then pry the bolt head with a screw driver while using a
socket wrench to turn the bolt.

at least the bolt is turning for you, which means that any corrsion has
been broken free.

the bottom line: you need to pry while simutaniously turning.

good luck and take your time.

-james