Re: Tricks to extracting Trunion?

To: Keith Meinhold <keith@navyboy.com>
Subject: Re: Tricks to extracting Trunion?
From: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:17:14 -0600
Keith,

Hate to tell you this but it sounds like one or both of the steel sleeves
that are inside of the A-arms have rusted to the bolt.  The sleeve is too
large to go through the hole in the trunnion.  You should try spraying PB
Blaster or something similar in the area and whack it a couple of time,
turn the bolt, etc. and hope that it eventually loosens  If not you are
going to have to cut the bolt between the trunnion and the arm.

If the assembly is off of the car, stand it on end with the bolt head down
and the arm supported around the bolt head with a socket or something and
try to goose it out by whacking on the other end of the bolt a few
time.  Don't mushroom the bolt end and put the castellated nut on to help
prevent this.

I would expect that you are going to have to replace the trunnion as a
result of this and it is probably worn along the threads also.
Good luck!

Rob