Removal of radiator and heater hoses

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removal of radiator and heater hoses
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:01:15 -0500
It seems as though I'm removing my radiator and/or heater hoses on an annual
basis for one reason or another.  I've noticed that after a season of
driving, it is pretty tough to get the hoses off.  They stick to the nipples
and require a lot of persuasion to remove.  Occasionally, a hose gets
destroyed in the process.

The reason for this sticking seems to be that the rubber adheres to the
nipple.  Of course, the rust that develops between the nipple and hose
doesn't help things any.

I was thinking that I might try to coat the nipples with a light layer of
anti-seize compound before reassembly.  Before I try that, I was looking for
some feedback.  My main concern is that the anti-seize will prevent a
watertight seal.  Any thoughts?

TIA,
Peter
'68 TR250