Re: one ringy dingy

To: Jim Lewall <jlewall@sunshinecable.com>
Subject: Re: one ringy dingy
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:01:53 -0400
Jim - my dash suffered from the dreaded "cracked surface" syndrome which
had affected both the coating and the top layer of mahogany veneer.  There
are many good reasons to keep a marine-grade plywood dash instead of
converting to solid wood.  I knew that, to maintain the best fit and
finish, I should restore the dash to the original thickness so I carefully
sanded both the coating AND the top layer of veneer off with an orbital
sander (80 grit paper) then applied walnut veneer to finish the project.
IMHO, the job turned out very well and, compared to the prices I see for
new dashes, the cost was nominal.

Rich C.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Enough winter, already!  I'm going to start working on a few little TR
projects to put myself in a spring mood.  New rear springs and poly
bushings - here I come.