Revised leakdown tests

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Revised leakdown tests
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:47:45 -0500
Well, I have spoken with a bunch of folks, including several mechanics,
about my leak-down test results (100% leak-down even with 195-200 psi
compression).  The consensus is that the readings are inconsistent.  No one
could believe that combustion chambers that couldn't hold any air could then
produce a compression reading that high.   Well, after hearing this enough,
I agree.

This evening I broke down and borrowed a real leak-down tester (my first
tests were with an Eastwood unit).  The professional leak-down tester showed
a reading of 20% leak-down across all 6 cylinders.  This is well within the
range of normal (0-40% is considered low leak-down). (Bob- why do you think
7% leak-down on your race car is anything other than great?)

So, I still have a leaking fuel pump, but I doubt it is because of excess
crankcase pressure.

Lesson learned (again)- cheap tools create more problems than they solve.
Tomorrow I call Eastwood to complain about the cheap gauge.

Peter Macholdt
'68 TR250