Re: Header Paint/Coatings/opinion

To: "bob" <rmf3860@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Header Paint/Coatings/opinion
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 07:47:21 -0600
It's Jet-hot and it is wonderful (IMHO) It is the same coating that goes on
the outside of the space shuttle to prevent it from burning up on reentry.

I had the choice of powder coating, original ceramic and Jet Hot for my 69
xk-e manifolds. Ceramic is a waste of time, since it will shatter if hot and
hit by water, the powder coating was 3x the price of Jet Hot. I chose the
matte black. The manifolds were done in 1990 and today look just as nice and
clean as the first day they went on. Husband put the light grey on his 67
corvette manifolds. We then had opportunity to test JH warranty, since some
surface rust appeared. Yes, we had to get the manifolds off again, but JH
redid them at no cost. That was 8 years ago and the second shot has been
fine.

I bead blasted and then repainted my tr6 manifolds with engine paint
(silver). I baked it in my oven for several hours. It has not held up well.
That only cost me my time and the paint, so I can't whine too much

Valerie Stabenow,  1962 MGA, 1967 TR4a, 1969 XK-E, 1973 TR6, 1981 Corvette