RE: Brakes

To: rcotting@mgnet.ca, peterz@merak.com
Subject: RE: Brakes
From: "James A. Tabor" <jatabor@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:00:39 -0500
The SBP (spousal brake pumper) works great....providing the
brake pedal is pumped as opposed to the clutch pedal. ;-)
i have found that the method described in Bentley's work best.
that is start in the rear furthest away from the MC (passenger rear, driver
rear, pass. front, driver front).

now, it does sound odd that the person having trouble getting
the fluid to come out might have a leak somewhere in the lines.
air can sneak in but fluid sometimes will not sneak out. because
when the pedal is pressed down, the bleed screw is opened shortly
afterward or already open; hence allowing little or no resistance.
the fluid will come out the easiest opening. once the bleed screw is
shut, and the pedal allowed to return, air can easily be drawn in through
the smallest opening.

just my 2 cents.
i have battled many times with brake lines.
both on my TR and my american cars. ugggh.

oh, i ruined a perfectly good plastic watch (swatch watch) from leaking
brake fluid. it ate right through the plastic!
moral: do not let fluid make skin contact! or at least take off your
favorite watch! ;-)

cheers!

james