Re: release bearing (long winded)

To: <RPVanLuchene@lbl.gov>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: release bearing (long winded)
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:54:53 -0400
Ryan, et al

RHP is the company or brand --- it's stamped on the bearing.  The latest TRF
TR250-TR6 catalog says they prefer to sell RHP gearbox mainshaft bearings,
implying that RHP are the good ones.   After all the crap I've heard about
RHP release bearings,  I'll think long and hard before replacing those
mainshaft bearings when I do a gearbox rebuild.

I bought three RHP release bearings a few years ago that came in a LUK box.
>From that I concluded that LUK distributes the RHP bearing.  TRF sells two
versions of the LUK clutch, the standard with the RHP bearing and the
uprated one with the Koyo bearing.

I don't believe the bearing failures are related to the type of clutch.   I
haven't yet got hold of either a LUK or a Sachs pressure plate to measure
the release force required.  Many seem to think the pressure required is
less for these clutches than for the Borg & Beck clutch.  I'm skeptical at
the moment since the Borg & Beck was supposed to be much stiffer than the
original Laycock pressure plate but when I measured a new Borg & Beck
pressure plate and a 20 year old Laycock pressure plate, I found less than
10% difference.  Maybe the old Laycock pressure plate got stiffer with age,
but that has not been most folks experience.

Nelson Riedel
Granville Ohio
'68TR250, '70TR6, '76TR6