Re: TR6 headliner install/sugg

To: "Fred Wickline" <BriickBea@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 headliner install/sugg
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 16:20:36 -0500
>Also, anybody have any input as to installing a
> headliner? Is it sonething a novice can handle?
>
> Thanks   Wick

I think you can get headliner kits from The Roadster Factory. The trick to
installing them is to mark the centers of each side and front and back, on
both the material and the hardtop itself. Eyeball where center appears and
then measure from the support rod mounting points. For center of the
headliner, fold it in half lengthwise, then widthwise and mark the centers.
Use washable marker or something that won't disappear, but that you can get
off when you're done.

Do at least one test fitting and use those black binder clips to hold the
fabric in place. Match up all the centers and see how it fits. Do you still
have the rods that go through the sleeves on the back side of the headliner?

When actually fitting the headliner. start at each center and work out to
the ends. I use Duro brand glue that comes in a brown bottle with a brush
built in to the cap. It is a contact cement that I use for all my
upholstery, etc projects. As you spread the glue and smooth the fabric, clip
it with the binder clip. I use the middle size clip, not the real small or
real big ones.

The goal is to stretch and smooth the fabric so that it is taut. You can use
a hair dryer so that you can get a little more stretch out of it and then
when it cools, it tightens up nicely.

If you have the old headliner, look to see where it was
"notched"...triangles of fabric cut out of the overlapped material to allow
for easing the fabric. Don't trim excess off until you are absolutely
positive that you have finished.

Hope this helps...write back if you need more info.

Valerie