Re: Master Cylinder problem?

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder problem?
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:35:19 -0000
Dwayne,

In order to get air out, it must be leaking in somewhere.  That doesn't
sound like a MC problem.  A couple of ideas come immediately to mind.
First, check all your connections and snug them up.  If that doesn't
help, I'd then look at the flexible hoses.  If they are not new, check
them for small cracks by flexing.  Another possibility is the Pressure
Differential Valve Assembly.  This contains tiny o-rings and if one of
these is bad, it could let air into 1/2 of the system.

Of course, it could also be that the calipers were not assembled
correctly.

Let us know what you find.

Peter Macholdt
'68 TR250

>I finally put the front calipers, rebuilt by the dpo, on my '73 over the
>weekend.  I didn't have a problem bleeding the back brakes, but can't
>seem to get the air out of the front brakes.  No matter how much I pump,
>I still get air.  After wearing out my wife and son, I went to the local
>auto parts store and bought a vacuum bleeding gizmo, but still no joy.
>
>Does this mean my Master Cylinder needs rebuilding?  What I find most
>puzzling is trying to figure out where the air could be coming from...
>It appears to be a closed system, if the Master Cylinder weren't
>working, I'd expect no fluid or bubbles to come through the system.
>What I'm getting is some fluid and a steady stream of bubbles.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.
>________________________
>
>Dwayne Cooper
>Product Manager