EGR Valve removal

To: 6 Pack Digest <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: EGR Valve removal
From: jdhenn <jdhenn@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:59:38 -0500
Thanks for all the help on how to remove the EGR valve.  A simple and
large 1 1/16 inch wrench to loosen the crown nut and a slight tap of the
EGR valve with a hammer and it unscrews by hand.  I did have to remove
the valve cover to assist in turning the valve. The previous owner had
removed the elbow pipe and sealed up the ends to the EGR and intake
manifold so I didn't need to remove those.

My question is this:  The hole into the intake manifold can be sealed
with a 1/2 inch pipe plug available at Home Depot.  What size is the
hole in the head that accepts the EGR valve?  It's smaller than 1/2 inch
and bigger than 3/8 inch   Is it possibly metric? or is it a British
thing?  Any ideas before I run off to the Home Depot again?
Thanks in advance!
--
Jim Henningsen
Kissimeee, FL