Stuck head.

To: 6 Pack Digest <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stuck head.
From: Gary Erbse <ncbucki@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:12:43 -0500
Dan it has been 7 years since I pulled my head but I remember it well. I
had two studs that refused to come out. They were in the center area of
the head. I tried all the tricks that I knew about. (except that one
with the closeline through the spark plug hole. It is does sound like a
good idea).
I decided as long as those studs were in place the head was not moving.
I soaked them real good then with the vise grips, I twisted them off.
The sides of the studs were rusted to the bolt holes in the head. With
the studs out of the way the head came right off with just a little
leverage on the rear corner. Then I drilled out the threads of the
broken studs and retapped the bolt holes in the block. Made some new
studs and went on with the valve job. Sacrifice those rusted studs and
go with new studs. Gary